President Muhammad Buhari recently approved the appointment of the new Chief Of Army staff (COAS), Major General Faruk Yahaya replaces Ibrahim Attahiru, who died on May 21 in a military plane crash in Kaduna with a host of other while on official assignment.
His appointment came few days after late Attahiru was buried to continue from where he stop.
Here Are The Top 10 Notable Things About The New Chief Of Army Staff (COAS) You Need To Know
1. Major general Faruk Yahaya was born on January
5, 1966 in Sifawa, Bodinga Local Government Area of Sokoto state.
2. Mr Faruk Yahaya started his cadet training on September 27, 1985 and was commissioned into the Nigerian Army Infantry Corps on September 22, 1990.
3. Before his appointment as a Chief of Army staff. Mr Yahaya has held several appointments including Staff, Instructional and Command.
4. He also served as the Principal General Staff Officer (PGSO) to the Honourable Minister of Defence, the Commander, Headquarters 4
Brigade and 29 Task Force Brigade (Operation Zaman Lafiya).
5. He was also Director Manpower at the Army Headquarters, Military Secretary, Army Headquarters and General Officer Commanding
(GOC) 1 Division of the Nigerian Army.
7. Was a Deputy Director Army Research and Development and the Chief of Staff, Headquarters Joint Task Force Operation Pulo Shield.
8. Until his appointment as the COAS, Mr Yahaya was the Theatre Commander Operation HADIN
KAI, responsible for Counter Terrorism and Counter Insurgency operations in North East Nigeria.
9. The new COAS is a proud holder of several honours and awards, some of which include, Forces Service Star, Meritorious Service Star, Distinguished Service Star, Grand Service Star, Passed staff course (Dagger), National Defence
Course (Chile), Economic Community of West Africa State Monitoring Group Medal, Command Medal, Field Command Medal, General Operations Medal, Silver Jubilee Medal and Golden Jubilee Medal.
10. He is happily married and blessed with children.